Creating Service Applications through PowerShell – SP2013

This will be an ongoing post until all are completed. The below PowerShell will show you how to add a service application as well as delete.

For deleting a service application, run the ‘Get-‘ commands first which can all be found below before running the remove in order to find the ID or the name.

Managed Metadata Service Application

Create the App

#Creates a new Application Pool for Managed MetaData Service Application
New-SPServiceApplicationPool -Name “MetaData_AppPool” -Account “CHIN\sp2013farm”
#Creates new Managed MetaData Service Application
New-SPMetadataServiceApplication -Name “MetaDataServiceApp” -ApplicationPool “MetaData_AppPool” -DatabaseName “SP2013-MetaDataDB”
#Creates new Managed MetaData Proxy
New-SPMetadataServiceApplicationProxy -Name “MetaDataServiceProxy” -ServiceApplication “MetaDataServiceApp”



Delete the App

#Removes Service Application
Remove-SPServiceApplication “52845e68-e7e1-4a18-b223-b6ea246c302c”#Get-SPServiceApplicationPool
#Removes Service Application Pool
Remove-SPServiceApplicationPool “TestMetaData_AppPool1″#Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy
#Removes Service Application Proxy
Remove-SPServiceApplicationProxy “77b8604b-c465-46a3-95f8-de05a10fa8c7”


Excel Services Application

Create the App

#Creates new Excel App Pool
New-SPServiceApplicationPool -Name “Test-ExcelAppPool” -Account “CHIN\sp2013farm”
#Creates new Excel Services Application
New-SPExcelServiceApplication -Name “Test Excel Services Application” -ApplicationPool “Test-ExcelAppPool”


Delete the App

#Gets a list of all Service Applications
#Removes Service Application
Remove-SPServiceApplication “d356b611-40b9-4bcd-930b-36e2718675b9″#Gets a list of all Application Pools
#Removes Service Application Pool
Remove-SPServiceApplicationPool “Test-ExcelAppPool”





Next App TBC

Create the App


Delete the App


Event ID 6398 – Unexpected exception in FeedCacheService.ISRepopulationNeeded

So I recently went crawling through some event logs while doing a health check on a SharePoint farm. I noticed this one in particular so I thought I’d investigate further.


The Feed cache service depends on the Distributed Cache Service, so checking if the distributed cache service is running in Central Administration (manage services on server section) is the first step. Tags and document activities are saved only to the Feed Cache, they are not persisted to content databases, so if the distributed cache service is stopped, the tags and document activities are lost. If the Distributed Cache service is started, repopulation occurs when the feed cache repopulation timer job runs every 5 minutes.

So with the information above, I checked the timer jobs that relate to this as well as the service in CA, both were setup correctly. The next step was to look into PowerShell to find out if the Cache host was working to which I found out it wasn’t.


Following the error shown above I thought I’d try and connect to the App Fabric Cluster Configuration and then restart it which thankfully worked.


Running Get-CacheHost again after the restart is complete will show you the Cache Host values.

Either run the timer job manually or wait 5 minutes for it to run then check the event viewer, hopefully the issue is gone!

There are other fixes out there for this however, this is the fix that seemed to work for my environment.